Friday, December 4, 2009

The Pope in Rome Part 2

So here we are on day 2
When we were waiting for our city tour bus we heard that Pope Benedict XVI was going to be speak at St. Peters. Me also being the Pope thought that it would be awesome to see him. We asked our very helpful hotel front desk guy Dario and figured out what time we should be there. We hopped on the subway and made our way to the Vatican.
After going through security we made it inside. St. Peters was so beautiful. Amazing! We asked and unfortunately the Pope was not speaking but they were having mass so we went and sat down and watch it for a few minutes. Shannon and Shiloh brought the Rick Steve's book along which was awesome and we started our own tour.

The Pietà sculpted by Michelangelo






This is inside St. Peter's Basilica


Shannon and I decided to hike to the top of the dome of St. Peter's. It was over 500 steps. Shannon and opt for the elevator for the first 200 steps. It was a good thing because man my legs were a burnin' by the time we got to the top. It was a gorgeous view.



The crazy stairs we climbed.



Amanda, Shiloh, Shannon and I outside St. Peters


Pizza and Diet Coke, well Italy's version of Diet Coke.

Shannon and I enjoying our food with the awesome scenery behind us. It almost looks like a movie set.

This is Piazza Navona; one of the most famous square in Rome. I bought a watercolor painting from one of the many talented artists.


The Pantheon



Next up shopping and dinner. We weren't really hungry and just wanted something little so we went to McDonalds. Yes, that right I said McDonalds. It was a upscale McDonalds which was pretty awesome.

After McDonalds we got some gelato and of course went to Trevi Fountain.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

You've inspired me Pope...i finally did my first post....

PDXTingeys said...

I love seeing all your pictures. It's so beautiful there, it really makes me want to travel.