We decide to hike Mount Timpanogos over Labor Day weekend. We did this last year so we thought it would be fun to do it again this year. We met Steff in the parking lot of Kohlers at 5:40 am, twenty five minutes past target time. We headed up the canyon and was stopped by Ranger Bob telling us that the parking lot was full at 4:00 am this morning so if we wanted to go on another trail he would be happy to tell us plenty of other trails that are just as nice and less crowded. Then he proceeded to tell us that it is now $6 bucks to enter the canyon. Hello last year it was only $3. So we started up the canyon to begin our adventure. Once we reached the parking lot another park ranger told us that the parking lot is still full and we need to find a parking spot along the road. Then he said actually there is one more spot that you can have. We were totally excited.

Steff and Jen on the trail. It was such a pretty day.


After our snack we continued up the trail to the meadow.





After taking a few pictures and calling our family we decided to head back down the mountain. We were making good time but getting really tired.
This is probably the last time I was smiling on the mountain. I always under estimate how long it takes to get down. I had hit a wall and was done. The worst part is walking on all the rocks it seriously kills your feet. Plus coming down the mountain it's so hard on your legs, knees and ankles. Steff was setting a pretty dang good pace and I was dying. I apologize to all the kids who were on the trail that heard the things that were coming out of my mouth every time I hit a rock just wrong or when I wouldn't pick my feet and would trip on a rock. Steff kept turning around and laughing. Finally I told her to just leave me for dead I am done. I always think I'm closer to the parking lot then I really am. Again I under estimate how long you really walk in the dark. I have decided that this was going to be my last time on this mountain for a long long long time.

Here we are looking a wake and ready to begin our hike.
So about two and a half hours into the hike we were feeling pretty tired and some negative self talk had set in and we decided to take a break on a log and eat a snack. As we were seating there I noticed my mouth piece from camel pack had fallen into the dirt. When I saw it I totally started laughing and we all busted out laughing. I thought I was going to pee my pants.

After our snack we continued up the trail to the meadow.We stopped and had lunch at the meadow. Last year we hiked to the summit, it was long but really pretty at the top. All of us decide that this year we were only going to hike to the saddle, maybe even just the meadow. But of course as Steff and I were eating lunch we kept watching everyone hike to the saddle. We also found out we could pretty much talk each other into anything and the next thing I know Steff and I were making our way up to the saddle. There was no way we were talking each other into going to the summit this year. No way!
Once we made it to the parking lot we headed over to the Purple Turtle for a burger, fries and a shake. Good Times I hope the soreness goes away soon :)

7 comments:
All the years that I have stared at that mountain, I have never been motivated to hike it. Good for you!
I have always wanted to hike that. I am so impressed! Oh I miss Utah! Great job, and yes I feel bad for those poor kids on the trail :)
Way to go! I've never done that hike... don't know that I ever will. Looks like the view was awesome, though.
I've tried that hike once, went up... maybe for like 15 mminutes, and said no way! I think you are wise to say, this might be your last time. Good job.
That is great! I love the part about how the negative self talk had set in, and oh my gosh I forgot all about the Purple Turtle!
That is great! I love the part about how the negative self talk had set in, and oh my gosh I forgot all about the Purple Turtle!
You guys are so awesome! I liked your Thanksgiving Dinner comment! That was awesome!
Post a Comment